Dick’S Sporting Goods CEO Says They Destroyed $5 Million Worth Of Weapons

October 8, 2019

The CEO of Dick’s Sporting Goods said the company had destroyed assault rifles worth more than $5 million after the company decided to stop selling weapons under pressure from retailers of gun control organizations.

In an interview aired on Sunday, Ed Stack told CBS News that millions of dollars worth of stockpiles have become scrap metal.

He said: “I said, ‘Do you know? If we really think that these things should not be on the street, we must destroy them.’

It is unclear how much damage will be caused to the sporting goods giants by the destruction of these weapons.

Stack announced that the chain store in Coraopolis, Pa., will stop selling assault rifles and high-volume magazines after a shooting incident at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida in 2018. The shooter killed 17 students and school staff with weapons purchased from the United States. Dick’s location.

“We found out that we sold this kid a shotgun,” Stark said. “At that time I said, ‘We are done.'”

It also revised the gun sales policy and required a minimum age limit of 21 for the purchase of firearms. Stark said the move led to a sales loss of $250 million. Financial losses did not affect the company’s share price, which climbed in the second year after Parkland’s listing.

Earlier this year, after tests at 10 stores showed positive results, Dick’s stopped selling guns and hunting rifles at 125 locations.

Others have followed suit. Wal-Mart announced last month that it would stop selling pistols in Alaska and selling short-barrel rifles and pistol ammunition nationwide.

Since the death of 22 people in El Paso, Texas, in August, 120,000 people have signed a petition for Wal-Mart employees to protest the company’s gun sales.